Saturday, May 24, 2008

Shopping Trip

Hi there. A week or two ago I took pictures and video of my walk to the supermarket, a trip I make once or twice a week. I figured it would be cool for you to see what the streets, signs, and stores look like in Brazil.

Leaving the homestead.



All's quiet on Rua Engenheiro Humberto Soares Camargo.


Here's a video of me on my way (I almost get hit by a car):








The main drag.



Like I said in an earlier post, no sidewalks.



Brazilian road and buildings. A multi-lane road separated by a strip of land is pretty common in Brazil.



At the crossroads. Notice the length of the road names (short by Brazilian standards). Everybody and their brother has a road dedicated to them in Brazil.


I'm there! More video goodness:







Now on my way back...

The yellow buildings are called "kitnets." They're like studio apartments for people overly concerned with security -- they've got walls, gates, electric fencing, and bars on the windows. People who live here are probably not much fun to drink with.



This is the same wall from the above picture. The graffiti says, "Walls talk too."



This is a nice little bar/cafe that I pass on the way. There are usually people chilling in that patio area.



Brazilian pharmacy. You can get prescription drugs here without a prescription!



These are public telefones called "orelhões" ("big ears"). Very charming and distinctive. Cellphones are slowly rendering these obselete in Brazil as they mostly already have in the U.S.



Sign for Chinese and Japense restaurants (Japense food is particularly popular in Brazil). Fun fact #1: the largest Japanese immigrant population is in Brazil. Fun fact #2: You know how "Chinese" is sometimes used as a catch-all for anyone from East Asia regardless of country of origin in the U.S.? It's just like that in Brazil, except with Japanese people.



The home stretch.


Well, that's it. I hope you enjoyed it. See you soon.

No comments: